Some years ago, back when modem cards were the rave and were actually installed inside the box of a computer, I remember trying to get on the Internet and all I got was “no connection”. I remember going through every diagnostic within the computer but still “no connection”. Finally, I checked the line, I had dial tone but I did notice some discoloration or what looked like burning on the RJ-11 on the modem card. Yes, it was a burn mark and the night before we had a terrible storm but could lightning have found its way into MY computer? After all, I was the expert, who was protected against surges, strikes and hits but oh yes, lighting had in fact found its way into my computer via the phone line which became the least resistive path to ground!
This question seems to be a never ending quagmire for those considering a quality home security system. Consider this, how do you control your TV, a garage door, your connection to the internet, or even your air conditioner? If you answered, a remote, you are a benefactor of wireless technology! Let’s consider hard wired applications, your TV, your garage door, your internet connection and your air conditioner all require a hardwired connection as well. My point, a home security system utilizing both modes of connection is what’s best!
Carbon Monoxide detectors save lives!
We all know the benefits of hard wired smoke detectors and the lives they save each year but are you aware of the dangers associated with carbon monoxide? Every home using gas, oil, wood or any other type of fossil fuel in their home is in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is the result of incomplete combustion of burning any type of fossil fuel. The carbon monoxide produced is odorless and colorless. The CO molecules in the blood adhere better to the hemoglobin than oxygen does in the blood and is the reason death comes silently due to aspyhixiation. CO poisioning sneaks up on you, just to give some reference, a smoker consuming 2 packs per day has approximately 40ppm of CO in their blood at any given time. At 70ppm, the CO will cause headache, at 150ppm drowsiness and between 150ppm and 400ppm the dosage can be lethal causing death!
Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving!
I give thanks to live in a country where we are free! Each of us has the ability to become the greatest person we can become based on the principles of freedom and free enterprise. I also give thanks for all those men and women who so bravely defend our country. May God Bless each of you and keep you safe!
Thanksgiving has always been my most favorite time of the year. I have so much to be thankful for!
Thanks for checking in at my blog. I will be posting and discussing many of the issues in the electrical contracting business both here in the metropolitan area and around the country. I hope to add plenty of positive information and insight to a trade and a business I have loved for many years. Hope this is as good for you as it will be for me!
New construction of a 28 unit apartment building completed and signed off four months ahead of schedule! The building has a 1600amp electrical service providing power to apartments, elevator, common areas, community area and sprinkler fire pump. Aside from the individual apartments general wiring, we installed a building fire system, CCTV system, intercom system, and voice/data/catv wiring throughout. Building systems were inspected and approved by NYC-DOB, FDNY and Con Edison.
We are particularly proud of our involvement on this project for the federal government. This was Breen Electrical Contractors Inc.’s first GREEN PROJECT. This project was designed to incorporate many of the green technologies that eventually qualified this facility at a LEED – Certified Gold Level!
In October 2009, we completed a 30,000sq ft. catering hall/restaurant owned by Mr. Frank Russo of Russo’s on the Bay. Mr. Russo’s latest endeavor is called Vetro, visit http://www.vetronyc.com/. The project was a new construction right on the water in Howard Beach, NY. The project consisted of a 2000 amp building service feeding three floors and a roof for restaurant and catering services.
Breen Electrical Contractors Inc. is proud of its seventeen year relationship with Lighthouse International. When the Lighthouse asked if we would be interested in working with Cohen Bros. Realty to help construct the new Academy Theatre, we were excited! Lighthouse International, the premier non-profit organization dedicated to fighting vision loss, and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, unveiled the new Academy Theatre. The theatre is a state of the art facility, featuring 3D capability and other state-of-the-art film and video technology, the Academy Theatre is home to the Academy’s weekly screenings and events on the east coast, as well as Lighthouse International events.